Arrival of Europeans in India Modern History General Knowledge:
Arrival of Europeans in India
- On 17th May 1498, Vasco da Gama, a Portuguese navigator, came to Calicut.
- He found new trade route from Europe to Asia via Cape of Good Hope.
- His second visit in 1502 established Portuguese Trading Centres at Calicut, Cannanore and Cochin.
- Cochin was the first capital of the Portuguese in India which was shifted to Goa later on.
- Dutch arrived in India as a beginning of Portuguese decline in 1605.
- The Dutch East India company of Netherlands was formed in 1592 to trade with East Indies.
- Cornelis Houtman was the first Dutch who came to India.
- In AD 1664 French came to India as a last European Community.
- The French East India Company was founded by Jean Baptiste Colbert.
- In 1667, the first French Factory was established at Surat.
- in 1616 the Danes came to India.
- They established at Tranquebar (Tamil Nadu) in 1620 and Serampore (Bengal) in 1676